We’ve seen it all when it comes to celebrity diets. From the Air Diet (yes, that’s really a thing) to the Baby Food diet, there will never be a lack of extreme diets touted by one celebrity or another.
Here’s a look at 5 healthy eating tips from famous people that actually make sense, and even better, can be easily worked into anyone’s daily routine, and achieve killer results.
Carrie Underwood writes it after she bites it
It’s not sexy, but keeping a food journal really does work, according to American Idol winner Carrie Underwood. If her toned figure is the result of tracking food, it’s worth giving it a serious try.
“I’ve kept a food journal forever, since I’m a bottomless pit,” the Before He Cheats singer told Cosmpolitan in 2017. “I can out-eat everyone I know — it’s like there’s no sensor between my stomach and brain that says, “Hey, you’re full, stop eating!” Once I recognized that about myself, I started tracking my diet, which helps me make better choices and pay attention to what I’m eating. I also write down which exercises I’m going to do later on.”
Kelly Ripa treats herself once a week
Live with Kelly and Ryan host Kelly Ripa really sticks to a very clean diet and loves Fage Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries or pistachios. But even she says it’s important to make room for treats once a week.
She told Good Housekeeping in 2017, “At dinner, I eat a ton of vegetables — and a salad, soup, or a light piece of fish. I try not to have too much cheese or too many high-fat foods, even though I love them. I would love nothing more than to have pizza and french fries every day, but I try to limit those treats to once a week.”
Jillian Michaels uses the 80/20 rule while dieting
Black-and-white thinking with food only leads to binges and more negative patterns. It’s more realistic, more sustainable to eat well 80% of the time and relax the rules the other 20% of the time. Former The Biggest Loser trainer, Jillian Michaels, told US News in 2013 why she’s such a big believer in the 80/20 rule.
“Everybody gets caught up in thinking that health requires an extreme philosophy or state of mind, cutting out things like carbs, or fats or protein. I’ve seen every diet, from “I’m paleo” to “I’m vegan,” to fasting diets and cleanses.”
“But the reality is, to lose weight and maintain your health, you’ve gotta have balance and common sense. So I say: 80 percent of the time, make the better food choice. And 20 percent of the time, have the fries. Have the pizza. That’s how you achieve that balance, so it’s not all or nothing, and it becomes manageable and sustainable.”
Going vegan worked for Simon Cowell
Cutting down on meat can improve cholesterol levels, can reduce cancer risks, and can help with weight loss. Quite a few celebrities are vegan or vegetarian including Paul McCartney, Carrie Underwood, Kristen Bell, Natalie Portman, Alicia Silverstone, and even America’s Got Talent judge Simon Cowell, who lost 20 pounds when he switched to a vegan diet. He told Extra earlier this year about it.
“I went to see this guy, who’s very well-known, and he said to me after doing some blood work, ‘You can’t have red meat, dairy, sugar, bread or gluten. I’m thinking, what about alcohol? That’s all I care about. And he said, ‘Maybe not quite as much as you had before.’”
Cindy Crawford starts the day off right
Having a good breakfast equals weight loss success. According to the National Weight Control Registry, one of the main factors among dieters who have successfully lost and kept weight off, was eating breakfast.
Cindy Crawford is a believer in breakfast.
“It’s really important to start the day out right,” the supermodel told Elle in 2015. “It’s very easy to control what you eat for breakfast, for the most part, if you’re home. If you start with a good foundation, it sets you up well. I start out with a protein shake. That gets me through with very even energy.”
Try these tips, be consistent, and the superstar changes will happen.